Sunday, August 28, 2016

Storybook Favorites

After scrolling through an abundance of storybooks and reading a multitude of different stories, I decided on picking three of my favorites which included Fairytale Case Files, Mount Olympus Gossip, and Fireside Freakish Fatalities.


The reason I enjoyed these three storybooks is because each of them had a distinct voice, which provided the storybook with more characters than the other ones.


Fairytale Case Files put the reader into full on detective mode. This storybook had a main character named Wolfgang Forrester who claims to be the best detective in all of the Enchanted Forest. Wolfgang took the reader through 4 major cases and explained them all in through detail. It was a classic spin on traditional fairy tales and kept my interest while reading. The title foreshadowed the cases to come and the introduction did a great job of introducing the main character and laying the groundwork of what the storybook entailed. The author used all dark colors, mainly black, in the design of the website. I believe that the color options were the appropriate choice due to the dark demeanor of court cases.


Mount Olympus Gossip was the next storybook that I looked into. This storybook was a complete 180 turn from Fairytale Case Files in the sense that the authors voice was an entirely different character which gave the storybook a novel vibe. I love the show Gossip Girl and I believe this storybook was a spin off of that show. The title and introduction did a great job of explaining to the reader what they were getting themselves into. The stories centered around a multitude of Greek gods and goddesses and the scandals that followed them. While I loved the stories and the theme of the storybook, the design of the website did not reflect the storybook itself. It looked just like any old template added to a blog, that being said, the storybook itself was executed very well.


(Campfire image sourced from Fireside Freakish Fatalities)


The final storybook I looked into was Fireside Freakish Fatalities (What a Name!!). This storybook caught my eye because of the crazy title. The introduction set the scene of the stories to come. Me being an avid camper myself, I loved how the introduction not only introduced the characters of the storybook but put the reader into the story by providing the location of a campfire. This storybook had each family member on the camping trip telling a scary story, which were based upon urban legends that involved fatalities. This topic peaked my interest because I am a huge fan of murder mysteries. It was enjoyable to read because the story itself was intriguing and then it was backed up by factual accounts.


All in all, these three storybooks stood out among the rest due to their unique voices and their innovative story ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment