Thursday, August 25, 2016

Introducing Amanda



(Personal image taken at Devils Den in April 2016)



Hi there my name is Amanda Clark, and this is my heart’s cry.

I’m a Public Relations student, creative writer, cold-brew coffee enthusiast, and an advocate for patterned socks.

For the last few years my creative outlet has become writing. Pulling sentences and words and then strategically stitching them together in an effort to invoke emotion out of an audience has become one of my favorite pastimes.

I have this longing to travel the world and to get to know people's hearts'. I yearn for a life that allows me to hop on planes, get dizzy on small white vans, and sleep on fast- moving trains. 

I want weave in and out of mountains, climb into clouds, hold local fruit in the palm of my hands, and savor every word I'm lucky enough to hear. I long to learn about and gain a deep understanding of different cultures—what fuels them, what drives them, and what calls them to action. I want to hammock in a canopy of trees and hike across rushing rivers. I want to drink coffee straight from the plantation and pick fresh mangos off of towering trees. I want my ears to be filled with the cacophony of howler monkeys and my heart to be overflowing with this fiery passion to never stop traveling. I want my eyes always opened to things unseen. 

For as long as I can remember I’ve had this innate desire to be a part of something bigger than myself. I believe in my heart of hearts that is where my longing to travel and explore the world began. This desire not only affected my heart but it has overflowed into every decision I’ve made thus far. It has pushed me to pursue Public Relations, it has challenged me to be a writer, it has curated an eye for creativity, and it has al- lowed me to hop on a plane and see the world. 


I want to live a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear, because I know that there is no fear in love. 

13 comments:

  1. I can tell that you like writing because what you are writing is enjoyable to read. I am a Public Relations major as well and I too love to travel. I saw on another post that you love New York and that is something else we have in common. New York City is the best city in the world and I love meeting someone else who thinks that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell that you like writing because what you are writing is enjoyable to read. I am a Public Relations major as well and I too love to travel. I saw on another post that you love New York and that is something else we have in common. New York City is the best city in the world and I love meeting someone else who thinks that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That intersection between Public Relations and creative writing can be really powerful and productive, Amanda: I hope this class can be a good chance for you to keep on exploring that space! And of course this class is an excuse to imagine hammocking under a canopy of trees on all of the world's continents (well, except for Antarctica) as you visit different regions of stories week by week. I wish we could REALLY travel to all these places... but in lieu of that, we can use the stories as our magical transporters. Powered by curiosity of course! Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda. I think it is so awesome that you have a desire to travel and learn about amazing people. I spent 9 weeks in India getting to know and spend time with the locals, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I bet you will have amazing adventures . And it is really cool how you have chosen a path that will bring you to do exactly what you want to do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amanda,

    Just by reading your introduction I can tell you are a great writer. The way that you describe writing was so clever, I've never heard it described that way before. The way you describe about traveling was really amazing, I can literally hear your passion for writing, and this is just you introduction! You're an amazing writer and I look forward to reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, it is nice to meet you. I think you are probably the fifth or sixth public relations major I have met in this class. I think you have really neat passions and I hope you are able to travel the world one day. I can tell your writing is going to be far above mine just from your goals. I look forward to what you have to share. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Amanda! I think it’s awesome that you have such a fiery passion for travel. It’s one thing to say that you was to travel everywhere, and it’s a total difference to say you want to hammock under the trees and hold the local fruit in your hands! I can’t wait to read more of your fiery passion reflecting into your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay reading this makes me want to be your best friend. First of all your writing is incredible and makes me want to keep on reading. Second, your passion and fearlessness about the world is inspiring and makes me want to leave everything behind but my backpack and my camera and just go and see the world. I hope that you get to do just that someday because the world is such an incredible place with such unique experiences and was meant for people to explore and search for all of the incredible thing that it contains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Amanda,

    I'v got to say - that was quite the introduction! Most people just say what their favorite hobbies or passions are, but you really made me feel it! Clearly you're very passionate about traveling and connecting with others, and your love of writing shined through as well. I bet you're really enjoying this class - getting to come up with so many creative tales based upon stories from all over the world.

    Best of luck to you! Travel is a whole lot of fun, when you get the chance I'm sure you'll have the time of your life.

    Joe Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amanda! Nice to meet you. This introduction is goals for sure. One line of it reminded me of an experience I had on an island off the coast of Ecuador. On Isla Portete I was taking in the sun and a mango fell from the tree close to where I was. A boy, most likely in his early teens tells me in Spanish that the mango is mine because it fell closest to me. I told him that it was so nice of him to let me know, but I didn't bring a knife for the weekend so he could have it. He pulled a knife out of his pocket and we shared it right there on the beach. Best mango of my life! Definitely pick the fresh mangos from the towering trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. um hi my sweet angel bb!
    ugh, you are such a light and such an incredible mind. I know you're going to travel the world and do such great things. Like move to NEW YORK FREAKIN CITY IN JANUARY!? You are my role model, for sure. I can't wait to watch you travel around the world <3!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda! You definitely seem like a creative writer! The way that you write is so fluid and is really enjoyable to read. I love that you want to travel around the world! It is one of the same desires that I have! I think it would be so cool to travel and spend all my time meeting new people, having new experiences, seeing unique sights and tasting amazing new foods. You're passion for traveling and writing really shows through this introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amanda! I am a journalism senior in Gaylord and I actually work in the advising office in Gaylord so I probably have seen you around! I am so glad I got to read a little bit about you. I hope you have enjoyed this semester and I think you are going to accomplish incredible things in the future! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete