Wednesday, August 24, 2016

London Calling, My Favorite Place




(Image of London, England sourced from Pexels.com)


The phrase “find yourself” gets tossed around in the same way “I love you” does in today’s day and age. Everyone is searching for who they are and who they want to become; it’s human nature. As college students we go hunting for our identity in a greek system, by the clothes we wear, or who we’re dating at the time. I’ll admit, I’ve searched for myself in all of these things time and time again thinking I’ll find out who I really am and nothing ever comes to fruition. I’ve often prayed asking for the Lord to give me a glimpse into the life I’m going to live but I’ve found out that He likes to keep tricks up his sleeves. His greatest trick so far was sending me to London, England, my new favorite place in the universe.


When I hopped off the plane at Heathrow airport, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I thought that I would return to the states the same way that I left. However, that was hardly the case. Maybe it was the fish and chips or the hustle and bustle of Oxford street that made me feel at home, but years of never feeling like I was enough or that I had no value vanished when I looked out toward the London skyline.


The sights and sounds of London was like nothing I had ever heard or seen before. I’ve lived in big cities and I’ve been fortunate enough to travel many places around the world, London however stuck out among the rest. The architecture and the lush green parks welcomed me with open arms. London had a charm about it that can’t be put into words, it’s something that you need to just feel.

(Personal image taken in June 2016)

I started my trip off by witnessing the royal regalia, the palace guards and the Queen herself drive by in the fanciest carriage I had ever seen. From that point forward it was a whirlwind of visits that consisted of news networks, production companies, street art tours, coffee shops, and ping pong bars.


Throughout my time in London this overwhelming sense of belonging had washed over me. What I wore, my addiction to coffee, and what I’m passionate about all finally came together in one place. Who I was as a person finally made sense. British people they wear all neutral colors, they say “sorry love” when they accidentally bump into someone, and they all seem to want to know your story. I couldn't have felt more at home.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Amanda — and that image of you in the phone booth is wonderful! It sounds like you are really going to have to do an English-inspired project for this class of some kind or other... maybe even a project about London itself! And when you get to the story assignment today, try the nursery rhymes: you will find London in there! Just search the book and you will see lots of mentions of London to choose from. Enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is awesome! I have always wanted to travel to London because I too have an obsession with the royal family. It's so cool finding some place where you feel at home that isn't actually your home. I love coffee and street art and I love being able to roam around a city that you've never been to before.

    ReplyDelete