Saturday, August 27, 2016

Story: Sue Ellen's Sneezes



(Traditional Nursery Rhyme sourced from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang)

It was a crisp Sunday evening in New York City. Sue Ellen cozied up in her loft on the lower east side with a cup of steaming hot chocolate in hand. Her long brown hair was tied back into a sleek ponytail and she somehow managed to make her pajamas look professional. Sue Ellen was the type of woman who had every minute of every day planned. She never veered from the plan that she made for  herself. Every Sunday she took the day to herself to recharge and gear up for the workweek ahead. Little did Sue Ellen know what this week had in store for her.


“Beep, beep, beep,” Sue Ellen’s alarm clock went off and her week began. She threw on her black pencil skirt, a blazer, and her most comfortable heels and headed off to the office. Sue Ellen ran out the door so quickly she hardly noticed her allergies beginning to act up. She was running to catch a taxi for work when her eyes welled up with tears and she felt a sneeze coming on. Just as Sue Ellen was about to cross the street and hop in a taxi, “ACHOOOOOOOO,” her eyes shut for half a second and then an abundance of horns began to honk and before she could open her eyes someone grabbed her arm to pull her out of the street. Her eyes opened and she came to the realization that she could’ve just been hit by a car due to her allergies. The beginning of an old rhyme her grandmother used to say popped into her head, “If you sneeze on Monday, you sneeze for danger.” The rest of Sue Ellen’s day went according to plan and no more near-death experiences occurred. She could only hope Tuesday would be more in her favor.


Tuesday morning rolled around just like Monday and Sue Ellen managed to make it to work in one piece. Meetings, phone calls, and emails all were completed on time and in an orderly fashion and the office waited for 5 o’clock to roll around. One of Sue Ellen’s co-workers was celebrating her 26th birthday and the whole office went out to celebrate with happy hour. One drink led to another and soon the whole office was seeing double, erupting in laughter, and participating in a night they probably wouldn’t remember. Between the haziness of the alcohol and allergy medicine, Sue Ellen felt another sneeze coming on. “Oh no,” she thought, this couldn’t mean anything good. “ACHOOOOOOO,” Sue Ellen opened her eyes only to find an attractive man standing before her. “Bless you,” he said, and Sue Ellen thanked him and then erupted into nervous laughter. The two hit it off and after hours of authentic conversation, goodnights were exchanged and he kissed Sue Ellen before they parted ways. The second line of Grandmother’s rhyme popped into her head, “Sneeze on Tuesday, kiss a stranger.” Sue Ellen wondered what her allergies had in store for Wednesday.


(Personal Image was taken in NYC in August of 2016)

Sue Ellen woke up Wednesday morning with a major headache and a throat that longed for a glass of cold water. She took some medicine to rid herself of the hangover and the allergies that still lingered. While she lay bundled up in her covers, she dreaded what the rest of the week held. Monday and Tuesday foreshadowed the days to come so Sue Ellen thought it would be best to go over the rest of the rhyme in her head,


“Sneeze on a Wednesday, sneeze for a letter ;

Sneeze on a Thursday, something better ;

Sneeze on a Friday, sneeze for sorrow ;

Sneeze on a Saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow.”


Sure enough, Wednesday night after Sue Ellen sneezed a letter came through her mail slot from a long lost friend wanting to make up for lost time. Thursday rolled around and Sue Ellen’s allergies remained. She scurried to the office just like any day but there was a bouquet of sunflowers waiting on her desk for her arrival. The sunflowers came attached with a promotion and Sue Ellen thought this couldn’t get any better. On Friday morning, Sue Ellen’s infamous ‘ACHOOOOOOO” occurred once again, and resulted in a downpour on the city. The heavy rain kept everyone inside and their spirits low, just like any gloomy day would. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday’s rhymes had all come true. Now all that was left was Saturday.



When Sue Ellen returned home Friday night she couldn’t have been more thankful for the week to be over. Her bed awaited her with open arms and engulfed her in a blanket of warmth. As she lay in bed, she realized that her allergies were finally beginning to come to an end and she was hopeful for one last day left of this sneezing madness.



The last line of the rhyme said, “Sneeze on a Saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow.” Sue Ellen laughed at the thought of seeing her sweetheart because she didn’t have one. She was the type of woman who fell more in love with her job and the city she worked in than with a man. She valued friendships and community and while she was always alone, her heart was never hardened. Saturday she spent the day recovering and taking care of herself and wondered who she would run into the next day.


(Personal Image was taken in NYC in July 2016)


Sue Ellen woke up to get her daily coffee from the coffee shop right around the corner. Her eyes began to water and her nose started to sniffle and she knew what came next. “ACHOOOOOO,” just like clockwork she sneezed and then before her the same man that kissed her goodnight at the bar walked into her coffee shop. Their eyes locked and he flashed a big ole smile just as he blurted out his greatest pickup line, “Bless you.”


Author's Note:

At first, I struggled coming up with a story based off the Nursery Rhymes that were given to us to choose from. I knew I wanted to do something based in New York City because a big part of my heart resides there. In fact, I’ll be moving there permanently this coming December. I knew my story setting but then it became a matter of what the plotline was. I looked through the fables and rhymes until I came across this one and it just stuck out at me. I thought there could be something magical about these said sneezes, thus bringing this story to life. The rhyme allowed for a lot of creative freedom which made this story enjoyable to write. I liked that I could tailor this story to my own liking and insert my own photos. In a weird way, I picture myself as Sue Ellen. I used my own office and experiences to make this story more believable and relevant to the audience. I think out of all the nursery rhymes I could choose from this one was not commonly known which made it enjoyable to write. This story was based on the traditional nursery rhyme found in Andrew Lang's The Nursery Rhyme Book.

Bibliography:
This story is based on the nursery rhyme "If you sneeze on Monday" in The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang.




11 comments:

  1. This story was amazing. How you made the story your own and were still able to fit in original parts were great. One thing I loved the most was that I guessed the ending of the story incorrectly so it was a welcome surprise to find a different ending. You obviously have a talent for writing and you did an amazing job with this story. I look forward to reading your future stories and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is very unique as well, Amanda. I haven't read any stories that have included actual lines from nursery rhymes yet, and the way that you incorporated them into your story was fluid and smooth. I like how you, again, went off book and made the story your own. You were creative with it and I really enjoyed reading this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story. I've been to New York a couple of times, mostly in the spring, so I know about those crisp evenings. I've actually never heard of this nursery rhyme. It was interesting to read, mostly because you gave it a modern take. You can't get more modern than the Big Apple. You did a great job Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, this was a great story! New York is the absolute best and is such a great place to set your story. You had so much detail that I felt like I was there with you in the story and was able to picture everything. That picture of cold brew makes me want to go to Grey Owl some time and get some for myself...maybe I need to find someone to go study there with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your story! Something as simple as sneezing really took on another meaning. I liked the idea you took the nursery rhyme and made each part of it come true to the girl. If only that happened in real life!
    The beginning and the end were both strong and wonderful, I just wish the middle had been explained even more. It felt rushed and unfinished. I think extending that would make the story more entertaining overall (no that it isn’t already).
    I have never been to New York City before, but I still have a special place for it (it’s my top place to visit in the U.S.). So, I really like the location you chose, it gives it a real modern take to a nursery rhyme and it also makes it seem a lot more mature and relatable to adults.
    The story really was great and I can’t wait to read more of yours at a later time! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda! A story set in New York City? I am already in love and inspired by it. I thought you did an amazing job taking a nursery rhyme and turning it into a modern story. You did a fantastic job describing Sue Ellen as a working girl. I loved when you said she made her pajamas look professional. That was really creative and a good visual description. I thought she deserved to have good come from her sneezes. Omitting getting hit by a car in New York City traffic, it sounds like she is so deserving to have good fortune in her life. The underlying romantic theme was really cute, too. I love blunt endings like in this story because it leaves the reader happy and to imagine what happens to Sue Ellen and her sweetheart. That was precious. Overall, I loved this story! You handled each day in the nursery rhyme really well and it never felt like you were cramming in the days because of word count. It was set up beautifully and ended so perfectly. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very cute way to draw out a little adage into a longer story. I love the way you wrote Sue Ellen and the extra details you added to really get the reader to picture the story rather than just the bare bones. It's always great to read someone's story where they want to draw the reader in.
    I do think it was a little funny that she attached so much meaning to her sneeze that first day. I certainly don't start thinking of nursery rhymes or such when I sneeze. Maybe she's a bit superstitious?
    I also thought the ending was cute but when you said she had no sweetheart and spent saturday taking care of herself i thought her sweetheart might turn out to be herself! Like she valued herself enough that she would come to some realization of self love. That might have been a bit abstract though so I think your bringing that one guy back into the story was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Amanda! I absolutely love New York City, so when I saw the little blurb that said the story takes place in New York City, I knew this was one story that I definitely wanted to read! I think you did a fantastic job taking the original nursery rhyme and turning it into an entire story! I know I personally was really intimidated with the thought of starting off with just a short little nursery rhyme and adding a ton of new elements to make a new story, so major props to you for doing so! I also like how you included your own image that you took in your story. I have only seen one other person in the class do that so I think it added a unique touch. Overall, I think you did an amazing job and I would love to read more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story was really fun! I liked how you incorporated all of the sneezing by making Sue Ellen have a cold in winter. What could be more common? And who would have guessed that the common event would lead to something so strange?

    Your descriptions of the city and the busy life of an office person were great. Coffee, rain, glum spirits, it all fit together very nicely.

    The callback to the pick-up line at the bar was a nice touch that gave the story a happy ending.

    The progression of your story was pretty spot-on for nursery rhymes or fairy tales. First, one weird thing happens in great detail, then a pattern emerges, and the next few events happen with a short description before a grand conclusion. Well done!

    I wonder if you could have introduced more background as to why this happened. Surely Sue Ellen has sneezed on a Monday before, but what was so significant about this week that made her old grandmother's nursery rhyme come true? I think it could add another dimension to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I love how you’re taking something as old as a nursery rhyme like this and spinning it off into something bustling and modern. It gives the concept a fresh, clever edge, and the idea of an uber-professional, no-nonsense businesswoman living out her grandma’s superstitions is perfect.

    In terms of critique, this is looking great, so I don’t have much to offer you. My main suggestion is that you go back and give the omen for Friday a little more attention. When you had Sue Ellen go back over the rhyme in her head, the promise of sorrow on Friday created this great source of tension—but the fact that it was just rainy outside seemed like quite a bit of a let down in comparison, killing the higher stakes that you raised. Especially compared to the rest of the sneeze-related events, a little gloomy weather seemed commonplace and less interesting than all of the other interesting things that were happening because of the sneezes. So I think it was a good call to summarize the events for Wednesday and Thursday, but creating something more dramatic and sorrowful for Friday would only strengthen this story, which is in great shape to start with.

    Also, as an aside, congrats on your upcoming move to NYC! It’s clear from this that the city’s captured a little part of your soul, and I hope you enjoy it there and that the moving process goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a really cool story, Amanda! You made a very believable character in Sue Ellen. I have always said that the most dangerous thing you can do while driving/busy is sneeze, and she almost found that out. I really like how this whole story came from a small nursery rhyme. You really nailed it.

    ReplyDelete