Sunday, August 28, 2016

Reading Options

For my week two reading I decided to go with the Biblical Unit, to be more specific I chose the Gospel of Mark. As a Christian woman myself, I am already familiar with the Gospel of Mark but I wanted to dive deeper and this assignment provides the means for that.


For the readings found in the Untextbook I decided to read the following English Fairy Tales I, Ballads of Robin Hood, and Alice in Wonderland. After living in London for a month studying British media I wanted to dive into British Literature and folklore for the rest of the semester.


I specifically chose English Fairy Tales I, because I wanted to get an Idea of the stories that were passed down in the UK in general. I think by reading a multitude of stories I can gain a better grasp of what the culture was like in England during that time.


To dive a little deeper into British books I chose to read the Ballads of Robin Hood. All growing up I used to watch the cartoon Disney version of Robin Hood but I don’t know the class tale as well as I would like, which is another reason why I decided to read this during the semester.

(Mad hatter Image sourced from Sir John Tenniel)


Alice in Wonderland, was more in my comfort zone which is one reason why I decided to read it over the semester. While I know the general story very well, I wanted to use this project to dive into the characters. I want to learn about why they do what they do and their specific impact on the audience. Hopefully I gain some more insight on why Alice in Wonderland became such a phenomenon in our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment