Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Week 8: Growth Mindset


(Grow Image sourced from Flickr)

After looking back and reflection on the growth mindset challenges that I have completed I realized (and already knew) that my biggest challenge deals with time.

I feel as if there are not enough hours in the day to get done what I need to. I looked at this chart and recognized a few things about myself and the way that I grow.

I noticed right off the bat that I do the minimum in the things I'm not passionate about and in the things that I passionate about I push myself to go as far as I can. I research and spend time on the things that captivate my heart. I find the motivation inside myself to do the things that I know I want to do. It’s not like pulling teeth, it comes naturally. That’s why in life I desire to pursue a career that I’m passionate about. If it’s void of creativity then it’s not for me.

I think with this class I want to be a perfectionist in my story writing, I want it to be good and I mull over sentences for a long period of time in hopes of making it the best I can be. However, I think short-term in that sense and haven’t completed as many stories as I should because I take too long on one post.

In life and even in this class I see myself comparing myself to others. As a woman in college, how can you not? I find myself critiquing the way I look, the clothes I wear, the stories I’m writing, and the job I’m pursuing. I firmly believe that we are our own worst critics. I am harder on myself than I should be, which is a blessing and a curse.

I enjoy that this class is not only acting as an outlet for creative writing but it pushes me to critically think and grow as a person.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amanda,

    I think I speak for most college students in saying that you're not alone! Everyone struggles with time. That's one of the great questions we all have to deal with: how do we spend our time? As college students, it's particularly difficult to decide how to use our time because we have so many different obligations pulling us in different directions. Everyone wants priority!

    I don't think it's an issue that you submit less stories, because everyone would rather read a few great stories than several okay ones. Maybe you could look into extending the due date for this class, I think the professor sent out an email about that earlier this week.

    Joe Wagner

    ReplyDelete