Saturday, October 1, 2016

Reading Notes: Tibetan Folktales Part A



(The Tiger and the Frog image sourced from illustrations by Mildred Bryant (1925).


This week has been crazier than usual so my extra reading for this week is over the Tibetan Folk Tales found in the African Unit.


After reading through the multitude of stories collected by Albert Shelton, I discovered that there were a plethora of stories that were centered around Buddhist legends and the gods and goddesses of the Tibetan culture.


I noticed that all of the Tibetan folk tales began with a short proverb that was essentially the main theme of the story and then it was followed by short paragraphs which was essentially a longer version of what the proverb was trying to portray.


Another a thing I noticed was a majority of the tales had animals incorporated within them. They had thoughts, feelings, and carried out the message of the story. These animals often held value and deep seeded meanings in the Tibetan culture.


When writing my own story based upon the strategies I took notice of from the Tibetan Folktales would be to incorporate an animal and give the character real life feelings and emotions and to either make up or take a Tibetan proverb and make the story my own.


Bibliography:
Tibetan Folktales: Part A, link to online reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment