Thursday, September 15, 2016

Story: The Broken Pot


(Image sourced from a blog for teachers)


Hey, hi, hello. Down here, yes, me in the rice bowl. I may not look like much, I’m nothing but a wee little grain of rice, but I have feelings and thoughts. You may be wondering, “What in the world am I doing listening to what this little grain of rice has to say?” Well, let me tell you, the little guys count too.


Let me go back to the beginning. I was one of many little grains of rice who cohabit in this beautifully crafted rice bowl in India. I came from a long line of other kinds of wheat and grains and after a long period of time had passed I somehow plopped into this rice bowl in the hands of a sweet and tender Indian man who daydreams far too often. Daydreams are not always bad but in this particular case, my owner's daydreams made me feel betrayed and unwanted.


The other day my owner was daydreaming aloud and I heard some things that I was not too fond of. My owner proceeded to tell the tale of how he was going to sell me, my friends, and my family in an effort to gain more and more materialistic things. I would be traded for goats, the goats would be traded for cows, the cows would be traded for buffaloes, the buffaloes will be traded for horses, the horses would be traded for gold, the gold would be traded for a house, the house will be used to gain a wife, the wife will have a child, and then my owner shall have everything he wants in life. Or so he thought...


His daydream took a turn and he dreamt that his wife is distracted with the daily household work and cannot hear him. In his frustration, he went forth and claimed he would give her a kick with his foot. Only, it was all in his head. In reality, he kicked the very thing that was supposed to give him his heart’s desires. He kicked the beautifully crafted pot where I and all the other grains of rice reside. In an instant, the pot broke from all sides and like a waterfall we all poured out onto the dirty ground and in the crevasses of the floor of our Indian household.


I may be nothing but a grain, but there is a lesson to be learned. That lesson is that all things hold value. The goats, the cows, the buffaloes, the horses, the gold, the house, the distracted wife, the child, and a teeny tiny grain of rice shouldn’t be tossed aside. There is worth found in all things and in all people, don't let dreams get in the way of understanding that principle.


Author's Note:

In the original story, this plot line was told from the point of view of the Brahman. The Brahman expressed his desire to grow in society through a trail of daydreams where he would trade one item for another to eventually reach his desired social status. However, the dream was interrupted with a kick to the rice pot bringing him back to reality. I read this Indian fairy tale and wanted to do something a little outrageous. When I read the prompt I tried to think of the most absurd minor character I could find and I couldn’t think of anything zanier than telling the story from a grain of rice’s point of view. In my reading, I saw that every story had a lesson. I kept that within my story by putting emphasis on the fact that the little guys hold value too. Don’t count them out. The image that I chose came directly from the desire to give the grain of rice a humanized effect. I wanted to bring the rice to life in a novel way and I believe that this image sets the tone for what the story is going to be about.



Bibliography:

The Broken Pot, Indian Fairy tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1912). Link to online reading.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! I just saw this story pop up! I already released the blog groups for this week, so what you need to do is count this for Week 5. Since the Indian reading options hold good for next week too, that's no problem; so declare this for Week 5, and that Declaration will let me know to put you in a blog group next week, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, this was a very creative way to do your storytelling. In addition, I found it to be also very interesting and loved the moral of the little guys are important also. I am thinking of doing this topic next week and like the ideas I have gotten just from reading this. Lastly, I like that the story wasn't too dialogue heavy, as many stories are. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I loved the use of the rice as a narrator. How fun! I could just picture a tiny grain of rice with a little mouth and a squeaky voice. I also liked how the narrator talked about his family. I thought it was cute. So, does it kind of end when the man gets frustrated and kicks over the rice bowl? This was fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, the picture is adorable. I love anthropomorphizing characters! Your intro is so cute- I love the concept of a piece of rice telling a story. I wonder if the other rice have input in this story, too?

    I can already predict what is going to happen to this poor little grain of rice in this beautiful Indian bowl, and you have set it up so I actually feel sad about it!

    I actually read this original story, so it was really cool to see the spin that you put onto it!

    This story has a great message, too. I love when stories have a greater meaning. You did a great job! Can't wait to read more from you this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome story!! I would never had thought to tell it from this point of view. You made it funny, creative, and showed an important message. I have read other people's retelling of this story so I had an idea of what the original was about. I think it shares a very important message about how everything in your life holds some sort of value...this is something I often forget and need to remember more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amanda,
    I thought your story was really fun to read! When he kicked the pot, I felt so bad for him because I knew what you were trying to get at in this story. I liked how you chose the most random and smallest thing to be your narrator. Giving the grain of rice personality is so creative. People sometimes forget about the small things so I think this story sends out a great message and reminds people that small things matter too. I know the rice spilled out of the pot after it broke, but was he able to pick it up and put it in another pot? Did too much fall into the crevasses? I think it would be interesting to expand on that and to explain if he learned his lesson or not. Is he more careful now?
    Overall, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story started off so cute, then all sudden it turned a little dark. Unexpected, but no less wonderful! I think the story was well written and you accomplished what you sat out to do. Which is make an unusual character the center of the story. I only have one suggestion and that is the possibility of extending the ending. It felt rather rushed and ended abruptly. Not only that it felt like there was a sudden jump from the middle of the story to the conclusion (oh boy, I hope that makes sense). Just lengthening out the story would help in establishing a connection with each character.
    Other than that, I think you wrote your short story very well and the photo gives this cutesy, fun vibe despite the serious discussion of selling others for greedy purposes. Continue with your great writing and I hope that you never stop giving us fun and uplifting stories : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy the way you tell your stories Amanda. I have read your Leper story before and greatly enjoyed the perspective you chose for that one. I thought you did an excellent job choosing the perspective again. Telling the story from the perspective of a grain of rice was definitely interesting. I don't know if it was on purpose, but I kind of got a "haha that's what you get" tone from the rice directed at the man. I thought it was funny. I like the moral that you portrayed in the story as well. I fell like too often we count the little guys out and then they end up showing their value in the end. I haven't read the original story, but I thought you did a good job creating your own. It definitely did a good job engaging the reader and then further keeping them engaged. I also liked the picture you used. It did help give the rice its humanized character. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete